Which Film is Better?


Who We Are and What We Are Doing...

Two movie fans from Georgia give their opinions (usually opposite) on modern films. Sometimes these films will be popular popcorn films, some will be obscure arthouse films, and we are always open to suggestions for films to review.

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Mid-Week "Masterpiece"

Happy Tuesday everyone!
This is the first Mid-Week Masterpiece post, and as you will see, masterpiece is a relative term here. As I said in our last weekend post, I am a fan of genre films, and I plan to post a new genre film review every Tuesday. These are usually films Becky wouldn't be caught dead watching, or is too nice to hurt my feelings by "tearing it a new one" in a review. I am sure some of you will agree with her when it comes to these films and that is great. Just write in and tell me how wrong I am. I don't mind a bit.
In these Tuesday posts I will review anything that could be tagged as a genre film (within reason), and these include spaghetti westerns, Euro-horror, Euro-crime, Ozploitation, Blaxploitation, Cult horror, Giallo, among others. If you have any ideas and would like to see a review of a genre picture that you enjoy (or hate for that matter), just send a comment or an email and let me know.
Ok. Now on to the first Mid-Week Masterpiece review


The Inglorious Bastards (1978)
Let me start off by saying, "calm down." I know Inglourious Basterds has been reviewed hundreds of times by hundreds of critics, but this is the 1978 Enzo Castellari Italian action film by sort of the same name (compare the spelling). However, I will not pit these two film against each other as they are two completely different movies and though they have a few things in common, this is the last time I will mention Tarentino's masterpiece in this review.
A short synopsis of this film is: A group of American soldiers are being transported to a German military prison, but in the process are attacked by a German militia and the prisoners escape. The rest of the film shows the prisoner trying to reach neutral Switzerland until they can be rescued and transported back to the US.
Most of this film is action-packed, and the action is done very well. Though obviously choreographed, I was drawn into these action scenes, despite the cartoonish and bloodless sequences, or maybe because of it. This is not your typical run-of-the-mill 1970s action film, and what I like most about this film is that it knows what it is. It is a fun action romp with a simple story and this gives time for the characters to bring a dimension to the film that many action pictures are lacking, pure unadulterated fun. This is the first time I have seen a killer slingshot and a polearm used in a modern action movie, and it works!
I wont give much more away but definitely wanna say, Fred Williamson was AWESOME in this movie. He is better known in his blaxploitation roles, but he is a standout in this film. He provides good comic relief and quite an intimidating presence. Some of the racially motivated humor can be a bit much, but works here.

Scott's Final Score: A-

Scott's Final Recommendation:
If you are an action fan, this is a must-see. Go rent it now, but don't take it too seriously.


No comments:

Post a Comment